Tips for Winterizing Your Pool
Tip #1: Know When to Close Your Pool
A pool closing schedule will vary based on your geographic location and how quickly the air temperature drops and stays below 65℉. Waiting until the temperature is consistently below 65℉ is an excellent rule of thumb because
- The colder temperatures help to keep the pool water clear of bacteria. Most algae need heat to thrive, so colder tempers help to reduce growth.
- Waiting until the temperature drops gives you more time to enjoy your pool and prepare for the pool closing process.
Tip #2: Decide on Your Pool Cover
Pool covers help to reduce dirt and debris, lessen the number of hours needed to reopen the pool, and protect your pool surfaces and equipment from damage. When deciding on a pool cover, think about which type is best for you and your pool.
- Winter Cover: A simple cover placed over the pool that is secured by water-filled bags. The purpose of this cover is to keep out debris and dirt that may damage your pool.
- Safety Cover: A strong cover secured by pins (or ties) that lays flat on the pool and even with the deck. It keeps debris out of the pool and prevents people and animals from potential injuries.
- Automatic Cover: A sturdy cover that utilizes an automated mechanism to roll the thick vinyl cover over the pool water. Automatic covers are also designed to prevent accidents and keep loved ones (and pets) out of harm’s way.
Parnell Helpful Pool Closing Hint: The pool cover you choose will determine the amount of water that needs to be removed before closing the pool. Make sure to read the required amount before closing the pool for winter.
Tip #3: Give Your Pool a Good Cleaning
Ever heard of “Fall Cleaning”? When it comes to pool maintenance, giving your pool surface a good “Fall Cleaning” has a significant impact on reopening when warmer weather returns. After you have balanced and shocked the water, make sure to skim, brush, and vacuum every surface of the pool. Then, let your filters do the rest of the cleaning by consistently running them to collect the smaller particulate matter.
Not interested in being the only one cleaning your pool this fall? At Parnell Pool and Spa, we completely understand and recommend investing in a robotic pool cleaner. Robotic pool cleaners are equipped with powerful high-speed scrubbing brushes that are suited for all types of pools. They are a great way to reduce energy use, clean your entire pool with ease, and save time this pool closing season.
Tip #4: Balance the Pool Water
Tip #5: Add in Winterizing Chemicals
While we are sure you did your absolute best to balance and clean your pool before closing, there is one last thing to make sure you are 100% ready. It is worth the extra time to shock the pool water and add special winterizing chemicals. Consider purchasing the BioGuard ® Winterizing Kit. Each kit contains the necessary elements needed to prevent algae growth over the winter months: Arctic Blue® Algae Protector and Arctic Blue® Shock. The kits also have a step-by-step guide with instructions on how to properly use and winterize your pool.
Tip #6: Drain Equipment
Tip #7: Wait Patiently for Spring
While it may be sad to cover your pool and let it sit during the cooler months, there are plenty of benefits to winterizing your pool.
- No worrying about freezing temperatures
- No pool maintenance for 3-6 months
- No costs for operating the pool pump
- No worry about balancing the chemicals
- No worry about pool surfaces and stains
The only thing you have to do is patiently wait for the temperatures to increase and spring to show its lovely signs.
Overwhelmed By ALL the Steps?
At Parnell Pool and Spa, we understand that the pool closing process can be overwhelming — to help, we offer the Parnell’s Pool Closing Service! Our winterizing service includes:
- Removing all debris from the pool
- Backwashing the filter system
- Lowering the water level
- Testing and balancing the pool water
- Adding winterizing chemicals
- Draining all equipment and lines
Give us a call at 910-738-8110 or fill out this form to schedule your pool closing service. Availability is filling up fast!
Need Help Balancing Your Pool Water?
At Parnell Pool & Spa, our trusted specialists use only the best equipment and procedures to get a complete and accurate reading of your pool water. Our computerized Water Analysis System, BioGuard’s® ALEX®, provides results in an instant with step-by-step instructions. Bring us your water sample today and leave knowing every step needed to get your pool water safe and sanitary.
Want to read more about winter pool topics?
Take a look at some of our other blogs to help with winter pool maintenance.
Contact Us Today
If you have a question about the proper running or winterization of your pool, contact us or stop by our Fayetteville or Lumberton location anytime. While in the store, check out our products, purchase chemicals for your pool or hot tub, or get a specific question answered by one of our experts. Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Instagram as well.