How to Protect Your Pool From Freezing Temperatures
As air temperatures begin to fall, it is important to think of how freezing conditions can cause damage to pool equipment and plumbing. When water freezes in your PVC plumbing pipes, it can expand and possibly cause them to crack, causing substantial and expensive damage to the plumbing and decking. Keeping your pool pump running will prevent costly damage to your pool, plumbing, and equipment.
4 Steps to Protect Your Pool During Freezing Temperatures:
- Always keep your pool pump running. If you have a variable speed pump, don’t run it at its lowest speed. The speed and flow of the moving water will help to prevent freezing.
- Always maintain the proper water level. It should be at least to the middle of the skimmer.
- If you have a salt cell: Remove your salt cell and insert a “pass-thru cell” so you can keep water flowing and extend the life of the cell. While you are removing the cell is a great time to clean it with BioGuard Cell Cleaner®️ to remove scale buildup. This extends the life of the cell.
- Don’t have a pass-thru cell? Stop by our Fayetteville or Lumberton store location and pick one up today.
- Always keep your swimming pool chemically balanced. Maintaining the proper chemical balance serves to protect your liner and equipment.
What does proper chemical balance look like for Winter in Southeastern North Carolina?
- pH: 7.2 – 7.4 ppm
- Total Alkalinity: 80-120 ppm
- Calcium Hardness: 175-275 ppm
- It is best for your calcium hardness to be closer to 275 than 175. The colder the water is, the more your minerals will be used up.
- Sanitizer (chlorine): 2.0 – 4.0 ppm
What to do if you lose power:
- Turn your pool pump off at the breaker
- Remove the drain plug from the pool pump, filter, heater, chlorinator, and booster pump, then insert a plug and GIZZMO into the skimmer to plug the skimmer and prevent it from cracking during freezing temperatures.
Note: This information is provided solely as a courtesy. Parnell Pool & Spa makes every effort to provide accurate recommendations and we assume no liability for any omissions.
Need even more convincing? Find information on topics like Benefits of Owning a Pool, Types of Pools, Pool Safety, Pool Maintenance, and more!